On the Banks of the Ohio


When I first listen to this song, I don't get a feeling that it's going to have a grim ending. It's a pleasant sounding song until you grasp what the song is actually about. I'm not quite sure I cannot fully relate to this song, but I can relate to the feeling of loving without reciprocation and that is a hard feeling to overcome. I started reading about Doc Watson, (which is also my great uncles name) and found that he was a great influence for many folk and bluegrass artists. His first instrument was the banjo that his father made out of their recently deceased family pet cat. He was truly an Appalachian musician, and an important one at that. I took this picture of Stephen (my best friend) over the summer while we were in the Appalachians and I just couldn't stand to not use it for this song. To me, this photo embodies this song better than I could have done it any other way. We were camping on the Alabama/Georgia border for three days and it poured rain on us the majority of the time. It was wet but not very cold and when the sun would make an appearance we would swim for as long as we could. This was my first trip to the Appalachians, and it is filled with memories I will never forget. I know that we are supposed to create new images for these songs, and I was in the middle of doing so when I remembered this photo and I couldn't help myself. I hope that's okay. I won't ever do that again, but this just felt all too right. 

Comments