Mississippi John Hurt



After reading some things about Mississippi John Hurt and listening to the songs, one thing stuck with me about him. He really liked being at home. This is definitely something I can relate to. I love being at home, I love my hometown and what it feels like and what it means to go back there. I really like Avalon Blues and feel like I relate to this song a lot. It's how I feel about Modesto. I imagine MJH sitting at home in Avalon, playing his guitar on the porch throughout the different seasons. I think about Mississippi and I can't help but to think about the history of this country and I think that maybe his life wasn't so easy. I hope that it was, but I can't be so naive. I'm not very good at drawing, but I just really wanted to do a portrait of MJH. I wish I could talk to this person. He seems magical to me, like being in his presence would just feel warm. I really like listening to the early MJH and how his voice changes over time. Mississippi John Hurt and I are two people who didn't come close to existing in the same time frame, but I can get to know him by his legacy that he left behind. 


Comments